Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thinking about "Polar Express"

It was the coldest walk so far - wished I'd worn my long underwear under my jeans. One of the downsides to walking right when the sun is setting (at the "late" hour of about 5) is that some things just don't show up in pictures. I'd seen a house that I wanted to take a picture of but it simply doesn't show up behind the trees, so hopefully a brighter setting will help. Taking a picture of a grey squirrel on a tree trunk was likewise unsuccessful. However! I am quite pleased with how this one turned out:


I had noticed how neat the train created billowing clouds of snow and was trying to snap a good picture of it by using the multi-photo/hold-down-button feature but it didn't really work for where I was (it was for the trains right at the stop that didn't have to slow down and stop). I was quite pleased to see that I got this shot though.

It's been a while since I've spent over $30 on groceries in one day but it was a big "stock up on canned goods and a huge bag of potatoes, all of which is on sale" trip. Plus, make-up doesn't technically count as groceries but I decided it was probably a good idea, what with the strict formal dinner dress codes for the cruise. I've used so little in the past (yes, I have actually dabbed and smeared stuff on my face before) they always have to get thrown out before I use much. However, perhaps with the cruise and the hopefully soonish employment I use it more often. I don't think I'm completely clueless, but I knew it was time to just leave the aisle when I realized I was staring at something and realizing I had no idea how it was supposed to be used (lips? eyes? cheeks? no idea). I got very natural-look stuff; it doesn't matter what I wear, I am always self-conscious of it and uncomfortable with it on. Definitely have to test it out before the cruise and also go through and try on my sad little pile of slinky dresses (Firefly reference).

No exciting culinary adventures planned for tonight - got plenty of delicious leftovers, including cooked veggies and chicken ! I've finally finished "My Life in France" and have started "Fieldwork" by Mischa Berlinski. I *have* to finish my job application tomorrow - and make chicken stock in the afternoon (it takes 4-6 hours and I don't want to have to leave mid-way through for lunch with Colin - that is, if his bosses let him out for lunch for once). I also got iron pills to start taking ... Dad takes them regularly but his iron is still a bit low and I know I'm the same way.

Tonight there's another episode of "Faces of America" which I'm looking forward to! It's on at 8 pm (CST) on WTTW (channel 11) if you're interested. I think it's on at 8 pm EST on PBS for most places. Also have rented Inglorious Basterds :)

No comments: