Wednesday, February 17, 2010

1st real Lent post, 2nd real photo-hike post

I was wondering what I might find that would show up in a picture (since everything is so white) but I think I need to learn to stop worrying about making sure I find a subject and just let it happen. I had a couple of pictures but they wouldn't have worked (hard to see what's in them) and then I came across this very noisy energetic dog who kept running the length of the fence facing the trail. I love dogs and I'm not afraid of them (been bitten a fair amount but rarely by vicious strange dogs) but I was glad this one was fenced in because it definitely was telling me to go away. Never noticed it before even though I've hiked on this rail trail a handful of times. It's not hard to believe it greets everyone on the trail just as I was.


Update on roast chicken: The stuffing and the veggies were all set to go - but the darn chicken just wouldn't thaw, despite being pulled out of the freezer and into the fridge since before lunch and put in the microwave to defrost a bunch. Finally I just put in a small pizza I'd gotten as back up and put all the chicken stuff in the fridge. It should be thawed and ready tonight, right? I know meat takes forever to thaw but I've never dealt with whole chickens before so it's a learning process. However, I apparently need a roast pan. When I was preparing the recipe yesterday I took this to just mean a regular pan but now that I've read the directions more thoroughly I see it means "a fancy pan with a rack inside of it." So, back to the store to get yet another thing (yesterday I got a meat thermometer and then had to ask Colin to stop and get a baster on his way home). Whitney - I don't remember you using all these things ... perhaps I could steal the recipe with oven temp and cooking time from you?

Big News of the Day: The Peek has arrived! For those of you unfamiliar with what the device is, it's simply an email device that uses cell phone towers. There's a lot of options, but we got this one used for about 200 bucks AND it's set for life. No more fees ever - can get and send emails and text messages. The person we bought it from also sent another one that doesn't work (it seems to have signal and works until you try to set it up to get email) so that we have an extra battery ... but I'm definitely itching to see if I can get it working. Probably would have to pay for the service (either monthly, quarterly, annually, or for life). If you want to see more about Peeks the website is http://www.getpeek.com/. For clarification, it's actually the Peek Pronto not just the Classic.

I ran into this last week while looking for internet services for deaf people and we thought it'd be good for Colin to have since I have texting on my phone but he doesn't. Plus, we love playing with new tech toys. I get to play with it today and show Colin all about it this weekend. Sure, it's limited and we'll probably just get some kind of smartphones in the future that would make this a redundant device for us, but it's a good basic alternative especially since both of us are still locked into our family cell phone plans for at least another few months. It would also be especially valuable for me if I can get a Google Voice account - text messages, emails, and transcribed voicemails would then end up on the peek and I could call people back using WebCapTel. I'd still need a voice plan of some sort but am calculating and trying to judge how actively I actually use voice and when so that I can figure out exactly what I'll need in the future. I don't mind carrying around two devices and I might just leave my cell at home except for bigger trips.

All right, got lots to do today and I should get to it instead of just gushing about silly toys.

No comments: