Monday, November 7, 2011

Writing and reading words (= life)

Today I managed just shy of 2.5k words. I hope to do the same tomorrow and Wednesday and from the view tonight it looks doable but we all know how well life gets in the way of life.

I just realized something that could potentially be disastrous to the story: I switched up something major by mistake. It's so ingrained into what I've written so far it would take a complete rewriting and a very different set of scenes to make it work the way I had planned. But - I won't edit what I've got and from what I can tell, it shouldn't cause any disasters I can't control. Other than that, I feel the story is going much better than the one last year. I did have a couple of scenes that I really liked last year but it remained stilted until it fizzled out sometime early in December.

I'm trusting the advice that the act of writing itself changes the story. Many novels are not completed because they ended up going somewhere the author hadn't intended, when (apparently) where they are going is much better than what was expected of them.

Colin and I started reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson in the car. It is one of the few books I've read frequently. I've never read it out loud before, but it is making it easy to see why I've never cared for any of his other books. I've pretty much attempted them all, although I have yet to try out "At Home" which I was given a copy of last Christmas. It is becoming clearer and clearer that if it's a book I read before and we read in the car, something about it just doesn't translate well when being read aloud. Most of Colin's books are great for reading out loud in the car though. *sigh*

Anyway, the main reason I bring the book up is because the whole "It wasn't what I expected" reminded me of it. Apparently, most people that start out hiking the AT and then quit soon, say it was because "It wasn't what I expected." You do have to wonder what they *did* expect. Was it not that hiking with everything on their back all day, day after day, mountain after mountain, would result in tiredness, fewer modern conveniences, and some smelliness?

I think I like going back to it again and again because it is not touchy-feely (many hiking memoirs are full of "searching for my self" and suchlike) but it is also not just pure data (the other half all just keep saying "And the next day I walked x miles from point a to point b. It was still raining."). Simply put, the book makes my feet itch for the trail.

No comments: