Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Winter settles in

It is snowing hard out and makes me crave hot chocolate ... I might make some even though we'll probably attempt to go to Colin's ex-coworker's for dinner in less than an hour. If that sounds like a repeat of what I said yesterday, that's because it is. It didn't quite work out last night (good dry run, got to pet a puppy) so we tentatively rescheduled for tonight. We're supposed to get "1 to 3 feet of snow" so we'll see how things look in half an hour or so. It isn't a very long drive at all.

When I mentioned to Becca last night we were going to get at least a foot, she reminded me that schools probably wouldn't even close way up north on at Mich Tech where she is. Which is probably true (and for Charlevoix) but when I head one to THREE feet of snow today I finally thought, "Okay, now it's getting real."

We went to the grocery store a couple hours before the blizzard warning was to take effect. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was hungry before I got there so I was a bit dazed and there were carts hurrying everywhere (saw at least eight gallons of water in one cart). But we got enough to tide us over for a couple days. It has been snowing all day and the parking lot was much more like the winters both Colin and I are familiar with (although he said it had to be colder, but it can't get much colder and still be snowing).

The doctor moved my appointment for tomorrow morning to next week (which is something I don't think I ever heard of happening growing up, but I appreciate the call for safety - just because I could have driven in these conditions up north doesn't mean I or anyone else should here). On top of that, the college has been shut down since 2pm and will stay closed all of tomorrow. Doesn't change anything for me personally except for the amount of emails announcing the cancellation of individual campus events.

I repeat: Stay safe, warm, and dry! Or let me know how things are better/worse where you are and make me jealous/sorry.

No comments: