Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thwarted Thursday

Today has been full of little misadventures. It all started when I woke up too early (don't know quite what time that was) and couldn't fall back asleep. Normally that's just plain annoying but I've been tired lately and that extra bit (an hour or more) before having to get up would have been much appreciated.

Then Colin had to run to the store to get milk, since we'd run out yesterday morning but were downtown with Tom and Keegan all day. Meanwhile, I showered and tried to dry my hair. Today was the day my hairdryer decided to fizzle out and quit for good. Colin had left the store by the time I found this out and I wasn't willing to make him pick out a hairdryer. So I dried my hair as best as I could in the hour before leaving. (For those of you who don't know: I need have my hair at least mostly dry before putting in my hearing aids.)

Then I left a bit earlier than usual to stop at CVS and get a hairdryer (I didn't want to have to buy one *after* work) and pick up a new prescription. They'd called me twice to have me come pick it up (I didn't need it yet and given the crazy week we've had I wasn't going to pick it up extra early for no reason), only for me to find out there wasn't a generic option. That was a big reason for changing to the new prescription, so in the end I have to wait for them to call me and let me know what else my doctor gave me instead (hopefully).

After getting back on the road, I realized I had left the latte Colin had made me at home. I almost turned around and went to get it, but I wasn't sure I had enough time to get to work on time if I did that so I pressed on. Luckily, someone had made a pot of hot water at the library and I made a cup of tea. Just now I got a pumpkin spice latte from the coffee stand. Hadn't gotten anything there before. Let's just say I'm glad it's flavored and it's got caffeine. It's not terrible, but it's not quite what I'm used to.

I also left my work keys at home so I have to use the spare for today. Normally I bring a certain bag to work, but today I brought my backpack and forgot to transfer the keys to the backpack. Mostly a minor annoyance but it adds to today's "Oops" pile.

Then things were changed around and I observed a reference class session instead of sitting in at the wifi printing Q&A. Which was fine - I was going to get the nachos and cheese from the black student union who were raising money for New Orleans right downstairs. Then they ran out of food just when I got to the head of the line. I had 15 minutes more for lunch so I ran down to the cafeteria and grabbed a couple random things, ate some of it, then ran back to the library. Turned out the class was late showing up anyway.

After that session, I ate the rest of my lunch, grabbed a coffee, and found a relatively peaceful spot in the library with a power outlet. My humor is still intact, which might end up being the most important part of getting through today.  So here I am, hoping to recollect my scattered brain and lazily wondering what else this day is going to throw at me.

No comments: