Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Godly Fire Bones and Hellish Snow Plows

THIS: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/JamieTheVeryWorstMissionary/~3/VDsSe9C2lP4/fire-bones.html

First of all, the first half made me laugh. Secondly, I have enjoyed every entry that's come through my google reader the last few months (something I can say for very few blogs), but this one really struck a chord. I can totally relate to this woman.

Faith isn't something I normally blog about (or even talk about) but it is a part of the undercurrent of who I am, even when I'm not feeling particularly fond of, well, religion. In my mind, the time and effort someone spends within an organized religion or at a religious building has very little to do with correctly gauging their relationship with God (or the deity/deities of said religion). And right now (for quite a few years now), I have not felt the need to actively seek out and participate in a church family - beyond the church library volunteering session I go to every week.

However, at the same time I recognize the convenience of having a set time every week when you are in a religious setting and (at least for me) you start daydreaming about all things religious or at least send up a quick prayer. There's also the added bonus of being held accountable by other people when they say "Hey, where were you last week?" I do believe church/synagogue/etc can be a truly religious, powerful and positive place, but the reality is simple for why I haven't really sunk any roots in such a community: I have been on the move so much these past few years. That alone makes the task difficult, not to mention how hard it is finding one that works for you.

I suppose I'm not really going anywhere in this post, except to say I really enjoyed VWM's post and feel reassured that even a missionary has trouble keeping the fire alive.

Oh, and we have made it home safely from dinner. Definitely wintry out there, but the only real problem we ran into was in the subdivision we were visiting which is really bad at plowing. There was a truck with a plow sitting at the entrance with its lights on when we arrived and when we left. It had not moved. Getting out onto the road was challenging while the whole time the plow sat maybe 100 feet from the part where we kept going forward and reversing, trying to get out of some drifted snow. Bleah.

No comments: