Thursday, November 4, 2010

There's a high level of science-y-ness in this entry

I wasn't planning on writing a post today. Those of you who follow my blog might notice I rarely post the day after a post. Oddly, I've seemed to have developed a routine of posting M-W-F and maybe once on the weekend. It was not intentional, but it's a nice surprise. Someone once said regularity is key to the success of a blogger. I'm not trying to garner a huge following or anything, but it always tickles me pink when I hear from other people who have been reading. So thanks, guys! I'm not comment-fixated but I still appreciate your support :)

What triggered me to start this post was an article at newscientist.org (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19665-aircraft-bomb-finds-may-spell-end-for-inflight-wifi.html)
Mostly, the title says it all. First, let me say that I appreciate that there are people who attempt to keep us safe when we're traveling. I really do. Being crammed into an airplane can be stressful enough without the feeling of completely being in other people's hands, most notably the pilots. I don't have a fear of flying. I can't even remember my first flight. My grandpa has a small private airplane that he flies himself. It's really tiny and he's had it for years. It helps him cut down on travel time a LOT because he flies back and forth between the two offices where his business is which are a considerable distance apart. He usually takes a trip back and forth once a week. Yes, he's a busy guy, my grandpa. He also loves flying and when he was in high school he would skip to go hang out at the airport. It makes me uncomfortable admitting that he has his own airplane and stuff but since it was relevant to the topic, I mentioned it. Along with lots of explanations. *shifts nervously in her seat*

Okay, back to the main topic: cellphones and wifi on airplanes. I don't mean to sound ungrateful here, but my common sense tells me that banning passengers from communicating with the outside world while in flight seems kind of stupid. Okay, so you're giving the already obedient passengers even more restrictions and they're even more bored. There's nothing actually stopping someone from using their cellphone, short of the attendants wrestling their cellphones out of their hands. And true, connection will be really pathetic at best, but I know from experience (again, Grandpa's airplane, not a commercial one) that cellphones are wimps when it comes to reattaching every minute or so to yet another cellphone tower. But it's still possible to send text messages.

What about cellphones in luggage left turned on? Or accidentally turned on en route? Or what about satellite phones? Or the phones on airplanes on the back of seats that I've never seen anyone use? Banning cellphones and wifi use from passengers just seems like a pathetic way to "fix" this threat. Instead of being so reactive, why don't we try being proactive? Those who are determined to do bad things on and to airplanes will always find a way. If there's some rules they will break them or look for an alternative. They're clever like that. I really hope no one starts worrying that I've got some devious plans up my sleeve or anything ... I just felt I should comment on the article's content.

On the flip side, what's up with those people who turn on their phones and call almost as soon as they hit the tarmac, if not earlier? No, this is not jealousy here. This is me simply befuddled at how many people just ignore safety. "Oh, we're almost there. Maybe we're already on the tarmac and maybe we're still rolling but we've landed and there's no way we are going to crash. Who cares about the other airplanes? It's so much more important that I call this person and let them know we've arrived, the flight was terrible, and we *still* have to wait before we can get off the plane." Grr. *end rant*

Also on newscientist.org, I ran across a gallery of photos that are intriguing. Most of their photos are fun, but I wanted to share these in particular: http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/messages-from-the-stone-age I love looking at ancient paintings and etchings found in caves. I have very little sophisticated knowledge about those people that lived thousands of years ago (okay, everyone today has very little, but I mean I don't know most of what is known). But I like letting my imagination drift. I mean, tens of thousands of years ago they scribbled this stuff on the walls? And we can see it today? Some of these are 30,000 years old. Compare that with the fact that "history" started only 5,000 years ago with those clay tablets containing cuneiform writing on them. Those "really old" civilizations like Rome and Greece? They didn't appear until around 700 BC.  Only 2700 or so years ago. It just astounds me.

And I am intrigued that the people studying these paintings have determined that they used to use these squiggles, squares, and dots but then stopped doing so. The youngest are only 10,000 years old. So what did these abstract shapes mean to them? Why did they stop using them? I'm thinking it was another Dark Age of sorts but we'll probably never know. I also like to imagine those who are painting merely made these dots and squiggles to warm up and to test how their mixed ink was working. Which would make the idea that we are studying them and trying to find some great marvelous meaning behind them hilarious. But hey, who knows? They could contain the answer to everything. (I kind of doubt it. Especially since clearly, as everyone knows, the answer is 42.)

On a more serious note, the hands are my favorite. They relay so much more human-ness than the pictures of bison and hunters with long pointy sticks to me. "We were here. We were like you. This is our signature. Notice how our hands look so much like your own."

Some of you are probably staring at this long post in astonishment, wondering what the heck I'm doing. Shouldn't I be noveling? Okay, sure, maybe I should. But I've written 11,763 words the past four days. I'm not tired of writing or exactly procrastinating, just welcoming a shift of mindset. I'll most likely get a few more words in before Colin's done with work. Yes, the novel is going well. My characters continue to control more than I'd expected them to and surprise me continuously, I have progressed in the story but not too much and feel like there's plenty of material floating around in my head to carry me through to the goal and/or deadline. The first write-in I somewhat unofficially hosted was last night and although only two other people showed up, it was fun and we've decided to meet every Wednesday night. I'm used to going into Deerfield on Wednesdays but that can easily be changed to Tuesday or Thursday, like today.

Oh, and I had my dental appointment this morning! I know, you're so proud of me. No alarming news, just need a couple small fillings, which is a relief. Alright, I'm off to stop being a nuisance to the baristas.

No comments: