Monday, November 8, 2010

How noveling eats brains

Bleargh - record daily word count so far: 3844. Sure, I could go on and try for 5,000 but I think I've had enough. Gonna celebrate the random high word count by taking the rest of the night off. Read Michael Crichton's 'Pirate Latitudes,' make a lazy dinner, and veg in front of some Stargate. That's the plan anyway. Still have to wait for Colin so we can go home.

Still going strong - getting really close to the half way point (cumulative is now 22,337 - 9k over the suggested)! Not sure how I will celebrate the milestone which will almost certainly be reached tomorrow. Part of me feels like a snail riding on the back of a turtle "Ack! Too fast! Slow down!" but the rest of me just wants to go faster and keep finding out what happens next. I was initially worried the story would be used up quickly and I'd run dry of ideas well before the 50k goal, but that's not looking likely. Now I'm starting to wonder just what the ending might be ... I will focus more on concluding it so I have a whole novel by the end of the month. I can't really plan the pace of the rest of the novel since I have no idea what's going to happen and I don't want to skip over stuff since it's the journey that guides the story. I've introduced 14 characters, one who is still unnamed and I highly suspect she will play a much bigger role later on.

Despite my high word count, my brain apparently doesn't think it's getting enough noveling time. I don't actually think about the novel at night, but something has been making it difficult to sleep the past few nights. Colin suspects it's the novel's fault. I honestly don't know but that is the one big change in my life. Perhaps all the thinking I normally do during the day has been crowding into my brain at night. Nothing specific, just random stuff. And I don't feel stressed. Still pretty excited.

Okay, I've had more than enough typing for one day. My wrist is faring quite well, but my right ring finger has a weird sore joint. Hope you all got some of the warm sunshine we had here!

No comments: