Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Feeling quite accomplished

Yesterday was election day - I hope you all voted or ... or else! I am not someone who talks about politics day in and day out but I do feel strongly that we should vote. Why? Because we can, duh. Well, my reasoning is a bit more sophisticated than that but I'm savoring some a new cup of hot tea. The steam tends to carry away my thoughts with it. Blame it on the tea.

I also want to comment on the nature of election information on the web: it sucks. I don't know anything else that is as hard to find good stuff on than the simple who supports what and what they plan to do in office. Individual candidates' campaign websites are almost all the same - they all really suck. Do you support the same things I do or don't you? My eyes glaze over after a few lines of politically snazzy gibberish and I beg for plain English. It's no wonder so many people just vote depending on who has got the right letter next to their name. Bottom line was, the more information I could find on a candidate, the more willing I was to vote for them over the guys who had not bothered to express themselves online. There was at least one exception to that of course where the person was just digging themselves further and further into a hole in their crap. I was also mildly surprised when I ran across someone who simply stated "I am strongly pro-life." Good for you, thanks for letting me know that, I almost want to vote for you because you just *told* me something of use. Granted, not all of the positions will ever actually influence big issues like abortion and same sex marriage and health insurance, but I like having people who share my opinions having some power. I think one of my biggest complaints is that people complain the government doesn't represent the people when they are thinking only of themselves. The people are more than one type and their political opinions vary widely. That's why we've got such a wide variety of people in power! It's definitely not a perfect representation. But having less than half of the population vote makes it hard to get closer to a more realistic representation. And I'm throwing out another thought: Do you think this variety is why it's so hard for the government to get anything done?

I'm still ahead on my nanowrimo word count. 6,387 so far! I'm taking a break until the write-in tonight which is why I'm writing a blog entry. Yeah I know it's still writing. But it's different. It's about ME rather than my characters who have quickly taken over in the novel. Don't worry, I am still having fun. There have been lots of surprises already. I'm feeling quite accomplished too. It doesn't matter that it's only the third, that I've written just over 10% of the goal so far.

This weekend I cleaned up and stacked the papers that I'd gone through in October in one big pile. All the papers from the two years of SLIS. When Colin saw it he was amazed. And I finally felt like I actually got something done. So I took a picture of the stack with a ruler next to it. Over eight inches thick (or high?). Which means it's roughly 2,000 sheets of paper. That's not even all of them but it's about 98% of them if I had to guess. Everything has been accounted for - if it hadn't been marked up, I just made sure I had a digital copy before scanning it. But most of it was scanned, back and front, over the course of one month. Phew! No more carrying those papers around!

No comments: