Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The oddity ensues

While Colin was gone, I watched two movies in one night, slept until I couldn't sleep anymore, and ate way too many powdered sugar donut holes. Oh, and locked myself out of the house. With no money or ID or car keys. If I had money, I most likely would have walked to the train station and gone downtown to get Colin's keys. If I had car keys,  I could have simply unlocked the car to use the garage door opener. As it was, we have no hidden spare key (soon this will turn into "had" after this experience - I promise you that). And Colin couldn't be back until the following late afternoon.

Fortunately the sun was shining, it was 70 degrees, and after trying to break into my house without busting a window, I sat down and plugged my computer into an external outlet to try to figure out what my options were and to talk to Colin. He was busy and took awhile to respond, and meanwhile I chatted with his mom. I was trying not to panic and get mad but I finally got ahold of Colin. There were many options discussed (should or could or was it worth it to walk to the station and try to have them take my reduced 10 pass? I didn't have any extra money nor do I have the required ID card they neglected to mention I needed to be eligible for in order to get but I still don't know what to do with the remainder of the stupid card). In the end, it just made more sense to go ahead and call a lock smith, even though we both got paranoid reading the lock smith scam stories online. Two and half hours and 85 dollars later, I was back in the house. It didn't really make sense to commence with my plans to spend the afternoon in Gurnee so I relaxed for a bit with a cup of tea before heading to the library. And that's the story of the first time I've locked myself out since graduating from college.

I was very glad to have Colin back yesterday late afternoon even though he was exhausted. I must mention a story about a coworker I have yet to meet. Apparently, they've started a fast friendship, his wife's name is Karen also, and he felt the need to text me while they had had quite a bit to drink. The text read: "I will be very gentle and tender with Colin tonight. It may be the best experience of his life." Colin had mentioned he was straight and married. I knew he was joking and I laughed at it although I only had confirmation from Colin that it was a joke over half an hour later. I simply couldn't think of anything to reply to the message from someone I have yet to meet, so I left it alone. Neither of us are all that great at getting jealous, let alone suspicious. Everyone always laughs whenever Colin tries to put on his jealous boyfriend act. I think we're just really comfortable because we know we love each other so much.

In weather-related news, it continues to be very blustery. I struggled with toting a breakfast-in-bed type tray from a thrift store to my car at least four blocks away and it felt like a sail no matter how I held it. I've been on the look out for one for awhile. It'll be great for toting food into the den or having another desk option. I don't know yet if the external keyboard will fit on it, but if it does even better. I have arranged a nook in the guest bedroom with blankets and pillows and a short table in which this would work very well in. If not, yay for more space to put papers and hot cups of yummy drinks. I also found a a "So you want a revolution?" glass, a tee shirt with Wonder Woman all over it, and a pair of jeans that fit.

Note to self: need to get rid of all those clothes that no longer fit. If I do ever get back to their sizes, shopping for new clothes at thrift stores is better and more fun than lugging too many clothes around when/if moving.

I also found a hat that I have dubbed my "crea cap." Crea is short for creative, and in some not-so-good Spanish it means "think, believe, imagine." (For those that care, "crea" is the subjunctive form of creer for he/she/it. More appropriate would be creo - which would mean I believe without a doubt.) It's red, knitted, soft, and good for indoors and out. I plan to wear it only when I'm actually writing the novel. I've read of a lot of people have something they wear during nanowrimo that becomes another trigger to get into the mindset of writing. I might not wear it all the time, but it helps that I do like it.

So yes, November 1 is now less than a week away. I'm doing really well on the scanning and digitizing project and the pre-novel research. At least I think I am on that last one. I'm going to try to catch up on laundry but it's not imperative. As for the rest of the GTD list - plans have been thrown off kilter this week and things like calling possible dentists to check if they take Colin's insurance and the planning for Europe in December are tough to do when I barely ever see Colin and he's so tired most of the time. Usually, we just want to zone out and simply be together when we are together. Hopefully the rest of the week isn't quite as stupid. The weekend will largely consist of pumpkin carving and handing out candy to the gazillion kids in the area.

No comments: