Friday, September 17, 2010

Wavy hair

Every once in awhile, I get bored with my thick straight brown hair. I do love the color, with all the different tints (mostly gold and a hint of red), the really thick almost black strands and the really light almost invisible blonde strands. But overall, it's just plain brown. I've never dyed it, only done highlights once and even then I was pressured into it. I did like the red tint but was glad to get to grow out completely so my mom would stop nagging me about "touching it up" because it looked weird (this was while in high school). Anyway, like I was saying, every once in awhile, I get bored with it. Sometimes that involves a haircut (like when I cut it reeeeally short a couple summers ago - Colin didn't really care for it) but other times it just styling it differently.

Last night while we were watching an episode of Smallville, I made my hair up in two French braids and slept with them in. Since it was an off day for washing my hair (I usually wash it every other day, often shampooing twice and conditioning once - it's a pain in the butt to dry because it's so thick, but I need to do it before putting my aids in), I just made sure it didn't get soaked and even then I blow dried it while still in braids.  Then I took the braids out and it was nice and wavy. I don't have any hair spray (I did but I used it so infrequently it went bad before most of the bottle was used) so it'll eventually straighten back out as the day wears on. That is, if I don't get exasperated with having it down and put it up in a pony tail like I almost always wear it. I took some pictures but it's hard to take pictures of your own dark hair to show waves and to not show a scary face.

Kind of a long detailed way of saying "I was bored so I made my hair wavy. Here's a pic."


Sometimes, I find myself staring at wavy and curly hair because it reminds me so much of waves and rivers and trees and wind. I don't know how else to describe it. I just get mesmerized by the beauty of it. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

1 comment:

Kate Rowan said...

I know how you feel. My hair is straight and brown too. It is really thin, though, and refuses to hold a curl for more than a couple hours.