Monday, September 6, 2010

Indiana and an Introduction to LBing

I was intrigued by Kate's post about the history of Labor Day and her thoughts on it. While I don't have a job, I find this another way to be reminded of how lucky I am. I try constantly to count my blessings but the counting can always use encouragement. Speaking of which, "Thanksgiving Day" is simply too silly to me as a former undergrad history major, but that's another issue. Labor Day is more free of forced traditions. Honoring Labor Day by remembering its roots and being thankful for what we do have is especially relevant these days.

Colin is puttering around somewhere, I think upstairs. He's still looking for some electronic tool stuff that he remembers owning. I say "remembers" because he hasn't seen them since two moves ago. Not a huge surprise, since he has at least three huge tupperware boxes full of stuff and that's just what's stacked in the corner behind the bedroom door. We've been brainstorming and getting excited with a DIY project that we both can/will do together. I probably shouldn't go into details because it might not work and if it does, it's going to be a great kind of present to give to people.

He has emerged triumphant from upstairs - even brought down two things of chocolate at least two years old ... oh yay. And candles! We got a bunch of candles from Bullfrog Factory last Christmastime. We needed something for Colin's family and one of the things Charlevoix is known for are these special candles. They have a secret way of making them so that the glow is evenly distributed throughout. So of course we bought a couple for ourselves which I promptly forgot about. It's a nice and timely surprise though, especially with the weather changing.

Being in Indiana for a couple nights with Colin's family and going to the wedding was nice and we were glad we went. I even had some fun slow dancing with Colin and jamming it with his sisters. We seem to have caught something from one of the four flights we took to get there and back but it's not too debilitating. I just keep sneezing a lot, my head hurts mildly, and my throat tickles sometimes. I can tell it's not just allergies but that's about it. We even got Colin's dad and youngest sister to go letterboxing with us while the rest raided the Goodwills.

I realized I haven't yet mentioned letterboxing (LBing for short) on this blog yet, but that needs at least one blog entry all to itself. Basically, it's like geocaching without the GPS devices. You find them by anything between precise directions and a single line of code. They can be as specific as "in Illinois" to "on the west side of the base of the third bush from your right next to the John Smith headstone in Ever-Rest Cemetery."

The basic situation: You find one. It has a logbook and a stamp. You have a personal logbook and stamp with you, a pen, and some kind of stamping material such as pads and/or markers. You stamp your personal stamp into the box's logbook, sign, and date it. You stamp the box's stamp in your personal logbook, write down the name, place, date, whatever else you want in your personal logbook. Thus, there is evidence you found it for both the person who made and put out (called "planted") the box and for yourself.

That's the basic idea of letterboxes. I've found about 40 to 50 so far (depends on which ones "count"). I promise, I'll explain more soon.

Also, if you haven't yet seen the movie "Kick Ass," get it. Watch it. It's pretty good. There is a fair amount of spurting blood but even for someone as squeamish as myself it was not bad at all. It's just so ridiculous. I like the story lines and the characters are awesome, especially Hit Girl. :)

1 comment:

Kate Rowan said...

Thanks for linking back to me! I love it when guys go looking for things they are SURE were there, even if it was ages ago. Hubby does it all the time, and never finds what he is looking for. Lol!
Kate