Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Summary of novel so far

A fellow nanowrimo-er that I had met at a meet-up earlier this month sent me a message congratulating me for winning and she asked what my novel was about. After I sent a reply, I decided I would copy it here for others to read. Keep in mind that it's a very rough summary and what the writer thinks a novel is about is always different than what a reader will find in the novel. I have this nagging feeling that it'd be an extremely boring for anyone else, but I'll probably offer it up when I think it's finished for anyone to read it. Anyway, here's my response:
I have to admit I'm a bit of a rebel. I *did* write the same novel all month, but it's turned out to be a lot bigger of a story than I thought it'd be. I'm happy enough to have the kickstart nanowrimo gave me and the fact that I did manage to write 50k by the deadline. I'm still typing away, which is fine by me.
What it's about? Well, it's about a little boy who starts out as a three year old when the novel begins. He's currently seven and a half. I just follow him around, recording his adventures. Although they are not spectacular, his development is interesting enough to me. The backdrop is that he was born in a mining colony on a (currently unnamed) moon in the solar system which means right away he's unusual because most natural births that had occurred off Earth had been unsuccessful. When he was born, such births were simply just discouraged but his mother was unaware of this and had become pregnant before they left Earth. Also unusual is the fact that he has three older siblings. This oddity has only been hinted at so far; the progression of the novel is learning simple things like this as the boy learns them. His colony finished mining that moon and are now living in a large space station.
The overall questions: When will the mining company and/or the authorities learn of his existence and what will happen to him then? What will the rest of his life be like? Right now, he wanders around and becomes friends with other people, including a girl much older than him, a boy his own age, a librarian, and an elderly Jewish couple. He's on the brink of many life changes though. The fun isn't over yet!
I know it's encouraged to write the whole novel - beginning, middle, end - during nanowrimo, but I had no idea what the end was going to be which made it a bit difficult to pace so that I'd be done by the end of the month. I am still not entirely sure what the ending will be, but I suspect I'll have to do a series. Or at least find a satisfying ending point for the first novel, regardless of whether or not I actually write any sequel.
In related news, my wrist is almost always aching these days. It doesn't seem like it's directly connected to how much writing I do, oddly, but I suspect it doesn't help any. My mom is getting a cortisone shot in her thumb soon for a different ache and when I was home it was discussed that sometimes people need to just keep getting another cortisone shot periodically. It has been over seven years. It'd be sooo nice to be able to not have an aching wrist almost all the time, but I'm hesitant on the surgery option.

So along with the continued writing, I plan to make an appointment with a different doctor (don't get me started on why I'm switching doctors, but if you ever move to Round Lake area, contact me before you pick a doctor) and ask if another shot would be wise. (Yes, pretty please, may I have one?) As for the brace, I find that it can be hard to be sure I'm wearing it correctly, such as if the angle the brace is on the wrist and such. A few times wearing it has actually exacerbated the pain (usually I'd just call it a dull ache but sometimes it elevates to worse). Not to mention how much more it cuts down on what I can do.

Okay, done enough writing for the day. Time to crack open a book.

No comments: