Friday, April 25, 2008

Social cookie

http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/080408.html
This I can relate to - especially when my most promising friendship in town goes on a cross-country road trip starting next week. *sigh* I love webcomics.

Other news: it rained today. Or rather, yesterday, since it's after 1 a.m. I've got a good grip on my final, after a hours or so of agony and confusion trying to understand what appears to be the level between theory and practice - like, pre-practice with categories etc etc.

I can't wait to see Colin tomorrow night. And to be done with this semester in less than a week.

I baked cookies tonight. Originally, they were going to be chocolate chip cookies, following this recipe "Award-winning soft chocolate chip cookies". I had to pare down the quantity, limited by "only" 1.5 sticks of butter ... well, it turned out that I didn't have vanilla pudding but "Devil's food" (really chocolatey) pudding mix. They are soft and slightly like cake because they don't spread at all (I recommend squashing them). It's a little too much chocolate for me (I also used dark chocolate chips). They are better than a couple other attempts but I still can't figure out what recipe I used at home in Charlevoix - I loved those cookies. They were the best. Maybe I can find the recipe somewhere when I visit the family next time. I gave some to Celeste and Grant tonight when Celeste came over to discuss the big ideas behind the final. (Grant is her husband. He sat and crocheted, occasionally commenting.) I felt especially socially awkward even though I'm normally comfortable with them. Other than a brief visit from Rachel in January, and Colin of course, I haven't had anyone come visit me. I am afraid I'm losing my ability to carry on a coherent verbal conversation. Eek.

Tech update: (more for personal record keeping than informing people)
I tried to reinsert my older memory stick. The new one works fine but I need more memory for HandBrake. I know it clicked in on both sides and it seemed to be all good. Then I tried turning on my computer. And all it did was beep. Once. Thrice. Thrice. Once. Whir a bit like it was thinking. Then just sat there absolutely still. I tried again. Same results. So either the slot is bad, I put it in wrong, or the stick is seriously screwed up. One last possible solution was that I was supposed to repartition (read: backup, do the resizing, then put all my files back on) before I stuck the stick in. I'll ask Colin tomorrow or whenever. I was hoping to be able to return "Hairspray" to the library since it's due tomorrow but looks like I'll have to renew it. Oh well - I've got more time on my hands next week, especially after Wednesday, if I do indeed take that whole time to do the final.

Alright, my eyes are scratchy. I'm going to head for bed now.

No comments: