Saturday, October 8, 2011

And talk of shoes and ships and sealing wax ...

computer

Something I've recently taken up (again) is running. Or, rather, jogging. I started out when the temperatures were finally dropping down to a reasonable range in late August. One thing that prompted me to do it was "Born to Run." I enjoyed the story and was intrigued by the idea of "natural running."

I've been feeling some physical improvements - strong and more endurance. I've also been constantly quelling shin splints, which aren't debilitating since I run in short sections between walking. The key word is slow. Still, I've been able to run more frequently and longer. If you don't care to read the details about shoes, you might want to skip the next three paragraphs (they contain blisters).

As for the natural running method, I looked at barefoot shoes. The Vibram Five Fingers wouldn't work for me, simply because of my weird toes; the second-to-smallest curls under the middle one and trying to straighten it out is uncomfortable. So, I spotted some similar shoes by Merrell. I really like Merrell; their shoes really do last a looong time. I have a pair of shoes I bought for study abroad (where I walked a LOT - some of it with cheap flip flops that my roommate in Rome was shocked I still wore after we came back) and they're still my main pair of shoes.

I got really excited about the Merrell Pure Glove (Mary Jane style), especially when I found out they were 30% off at REI where I have a gift certificate. I looked at the store but they only had one pair that were too large. So I ordered a half size down online. Still seemed too big. Ordered the next size down and those seemed just right. Then I made the classic rookie mistake of taking them with me to SF - and getting a huge blister on my heel less than a mile into walking. This really surprised me - all the reviews raved about how they fit so well. So I guessed they were still too big. Except instead of length-wise, it looks like they were too wide (I have quite narrow feet). I could have ordered yet another pair to try but I wasn't optimistic about the idea; instead, I just boxed them up and sent them back. Eventually I will get a pair of Merrell Pace to try, which look a lot more like normal tennis shoes and are definitely fit more snugly all around when I tested them in the store.

Meanwhile, both pairs of old running shoes I tried didn't work (gave me blisters). Luckily, I have a pair of shoes I bought in India that don't have much cushioning and I've been using those. I can't quite remember what brand they are and I'm out and about right now. *end shoe stories*

Colin and I have both been having computer scares lately. Thank goodness we have a backup system. We're near an Apple store where Colin took his computer last night after it become completely unresponsive and found that they had to replace the motherboard. Which they did for free and we were able to pick it up this morning.

My own machine has been acting crankier than usual (on top of having very shot battery life). It would probably be a good idea just to get the next machine before this one completely up and dies. *sigh* Then again, over three years for an early version of a netbook is not bad. I've been looking both at newer netbooks and at computers that come with Linux. Sadly, they're almost mutually exclusive categories, although some of the Linux computers are on the smaller side, with an exception of Asus X101 that has a great price to boot. The solid state hard drive and the no ethernet port makes me pause, so I'm keeping an eye out for more reviews.

Okay, we're going to head home now. It's yet another glorious day outside!

No comments: