Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recently, Colin has been giving me presents. He'd gotten a bunch of stuff from thinkgeek.com, and being the cute boy he is, he couldn't help but also order things not only geeky but cute to give me. The first one was what is supposed to be a grasshopper but I much prefer to think of it as a cricket. I made and uploaded a video of it in action, because words don't quite do it justice. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLEKNTCIek

A few days later, he gave me something quite different. It consisted of a cup, dome-top, saucer bottom, weird dirt pod thing, and two lima beans. The cup was covered in pink and purple hearts and said "I love you." Then Colin pointed out that the beans have "I love you" stamped on themselves also. He wouldn't let me see the back of the instructions, so I suspected there was more to the surprise. It was really cool to watch the really hard dirt pod soak up the water and expand into mushy diggable dirt. Then we buried the beans, put the dome cover on top, and set it on the windowsill in the kitchen. A couple days ago we got some sprouts and it's been fun watching them grow. Here's what they look like now:

You're probably thinking, "Okay, great ... that's cute, I guess, in a third grade science experiment sort of way. Why are you blogging about it?" Well, behold the little surprise:

Both plants have "I love you" on the leaves. Told you I had a cute geek. :)

1 comment:

Kate Rowan said...

Ahhh! That is so cool! I love it! Awww. You have a sweet man.