Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Crap versus Quality

I just came home from the local library where I got to check things out for the first time! Quite excited to enjoy the books, with the topics being India and the origin of American English language (not in the same book). I had also picked up some DVDs which I hope Colin will like. Burn After Reading definitely, Pursuit of Happyness maybe, and The Darjeeling Limited? Probably not, but who knows? I seem to have a soft spot for picking up those movies with skeptical quality ...

I was catching up on my feeds, mostly of the library flavor, when I suddenly felt the urge to click on the tvguide.com browser tab. Now, why? Why, in the face of such treasures I'd been so excited about just moments before? Why, in the face of intriguing, career-related posts including news of the LOC trying out cloud storage?

So the fact that I'd been sitting reading for two hours about North Korea and then sampling a bunch of books could have something to do with it. Perhaps my mind desired some wandering and easy entertainment. Junk food instead of whole grains. No matter how yummy and good for me the grains are ... sometimes I just gotta have the stuff that is pretty much worthless for me.

This laziness, opting for the easier path with more immediate reward, is both beneficial and detrimental for humankind as evidenced by our ability to use brains to make tools and tasks easier and faster, and the abundance of quick-fix, get-rich, etc. promises. My philosophy for most things in life is simple: balance. This means watching an irresistable episode of NCIS (with a blurb mentioning a frozen guy coming back to life, could you resist?) while looking to do some dishes, read "Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States" ... that is, depending on when Colin is done at work for the day and I pick him up.

No comments: